Main image

Sunday, May 23

ECO ARTIST SPOTLIGHT

I chose this Eco Artist because she shares her
love of history in a fresh new way. Alexandra was
kind enough to sit down and answer some fun and insightful
questions, so that we can meet the person behind the shop.




Tell us how you start your day.
I have a full-time job outside of Etsy, so most mornings I get up around 8:00 and get ready for work. I'm not a morning person, so on the weekends I'll sleep in. Then once I get up and get a latte in me, I'll do photo shoots for new items in my shop, or hit local thrift stores or estate sales. I'm often up late all week working on listing items in my shop!

Where did you grow up and where do you live now?
I grew up in Maryland and went to school in Baltimore County. Now I live in the beautiful and awe-inspiring Boulder, Colorado. I tried out a lot of places in between -- like Seattle, Boise, Portland and even the Virgin Islands! Boulder definitely feels like home, though.

Tell us about how you got started in your art/craft?
I make jewelry and have always loved beadwork, lampwork beads, and wirework. I always toyed with the idea of having an Etsy shop for my jewelry. Unfortunately, I developed a chronic case of tendonitis years ago, which made it impossible to produce enough jewelry over time to sustain a shop.

I've always been interested in fashion and retro looks, so when I learned that Etsy had expanded to include vintage, I thought it would be a perfect alternative for me. I love photography, so taking photos for my shop is a wonderful creative outlet for me as well.



What inspires you?
Animals and beautiful landscapes both inspire me very much. I love all animals and I have a wonderful cat who's been with me for over 17 years. I am also inspired by the beautiful mountains and landscapes in Colorado, particularly Boulder and Telluride. I also love Hawaii and would love to figure out a way to spend part of the year in all three areas! I know, I'm dreaming...

What would your perfect day be like?
My perfect day would begin with sleeping in, of course. Then spending time with my kitty, going for a hike somewhere with beautiful flowers, taking photographs, meeting friends for happy hour or dinner, then relaxing and reading a book or watching a movie. I'm so busy with my full-time job and Etsy that this actually seems like a fantasy! One day...

If you had to choose another medium, what would it be?
I'd love to get back into jewelry, but alas my body is rebelling against that. I'd also like to focus more on photography. I'm seriously lusting after a Diana Mini camera right now -- I love the wonderful photographs people take with that camera -- they seem to transport you back to another time.



How is your art/craft Eco friendly?
Having a shop that features vintage clothing, accessories, luggage and decor is very eco-friendly because it enables finely-made goods to be re-used by people who value them instead of ending up in the landfill. It's a way to recycle wonderful items from the past and value our history while expressing an individual sense of style.

What makes where you live special?
Boulder has such a beautiful topography with huge dramatic triangular rocks called "The Flatirons" that jut out of the mountains right next to town. No matter what season it is, the view is always jaw-dropping. There is a lovely creek meandering through town and a wonderful bike path system which makes it easy to walk or bike where you need to go. There are numerous hiking trails up into the foothills right from town. The city and county of Boulder have been purchasing open space in and around the town for decades, which has limited development and preserved a lot of beautiful green space. (On the flip side, this has made real estate very expensive). There is a lot of wildlife, including prairie dogs, coyotes, deer and mountain lions. It's a wonderful place to live.

Do you have a studio/workspace outside of your home?
No, I do everything for my Etsy shop in our small 2 bedroom condo. We're looking for a house so hopefully I'll be able to expand and maybe even have a room dedicated to my business soon!



What's the one thing you can't live without?
I can't live without pets. My beautiful kitty gives me unconditional love and enhances every day for me -- I'd love to have more pets but she won't stand for it. One day...

Extra: Tell us a random fact about yourself!
Although I'm not practicing currently, I have a masters degree in occupational therapy. In this field you work as part of a rehab team with physical therapist, speech therapist and other allied health professionals to help people recover from illness or injury. Occupational therapy focuses on improving the patient's ability to function by engaging in meaningful activity -- for example, dressing or cooking or crafts or whatever activity is meaningful to the patient.


Shop AlpenglowVintage.etsy.com
Twitter @alpenglovintage
FlickrAlpenGlow Vintage

Alexandra is also a member of The Recyclers Guild Team, read more about us at etsyrecyclersguild.blogspot.com

3 comments:

LEFTZ said...

Alexandra,

Thank you so much for giving us a look into your life. You find the most beautiful items! My favorite deferentially has to be the 1950's jacket! Very Audrey Hepburn ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for featuring me! I enjoyed it.

GreenTrunk said...

I love vintage! Alexandra you have some awesome items in you shop! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

RSS Feed